Skip to content

Old Rauma

Schedule

9.00 Departure from University Consortium of Pori (parking place)

10.00 Old Rauma

Old Rauma is the largest unified historical wooden town in the Nordic countries. Even today it is the heart of the town, where living, social life and business go hand in hand all year round.
In 1991 Old Rauma was inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage list, which includes cultural and natural sites of outstanding universal value. Old Rauma was inscribed as an outstanding example of living and well preserved historical Nordic wooden town.

10.45 Tammela, the Old Rauma Renovation Centre 

In the Tammela house, in the heart of Old Rauma, the Renovation Centre is open all year round.
The exhibition at Tammela displays renovation methods suitable for the timber buildings of Old Rauma as well as the UNESCO World Heritage. Also, a bank of spare building parts operates in the building.

The main building of Tammela was built in the early 19th century as a home of several households. Also a shop operated in the building. This explains the large size of the building. In the past the estate has also included a large outbuilding with a cow shed and a barn.

12.00 Restaurant Rosmariini / Lunch

13.00 Old Town Hall

The Old Town Hall building has been used by the Rauma Museum since the beginning of the 20th century. It was built in 1776. The Old Town Hall is mainly baroque-style, but the basic shape of the house, two storeys and a clock tower, was common already in medieval towns. In addition to Rauma, only Porvoo has an 18th century town hall in its original form.

The meeting hall of the town council, offices and archives were located upstairs, while the town jail and a shop were located downstairs.

At the moment The Old Town Hall displays objects related to the town history, shipping and lace making. Lace making demonstrations have also been a museum attraction for decades, although lace makers are not constantly present.

13.30 Marela – shipowner’s home

The name Marela derives from Abraham Marelin, who owned the house at the end of the 18th century. He was a tradesman and a shipowner, as were the later owners of the house.

The present exterior of the main building is from the end of the 19th century. It was then that the house got its splendid Neo Renaissance-siding. During the same time period renovations were made in other parts of the town as well, so that approximately two thirds of the houses got a new, fashionable look. Wealth was brought by the flourishing sailing ship trade era of the 1890’s.

15.00 Back to Pori

%d bloggers like this: